Silver Britannias

The Silver Britannia is is fairly new to the scene of silver coins as it debuted in 1997, a surprising 10 years after its gold counterpart. The Silver Britannia is produced by the Royal Mint in the United Kingdom. These silver coins are offered in one ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce, and a tenth of an ounce varieties. Each size has a different face value.

All 4 weights of the coin are comprised of 95.8% Silver with the remaining 4.2% being filler metals to add strength to the coin. The coin’s value stems mostly from the fact that is almost entirely silver, this makes it great for collectors and investors alike. The reverse side of the coin has and will always depict different variations of a standing Britannia figure.

Sizes and Denominations of the Silver Britannia

The only version of the Britannia is the ounce version. It is made up of 95.8% silver. It has a diameter of 16.5 millimeters and weighs approximately 3.1 grams. The one ounce Silver Britannia is easily the most popular out of the 4 weights. Among collectors and investors it is the most sought after and is considered a great addition to any collection or investment portfolio. The one ounce coin has a diameter of 40 millimeters and weighs about 31.1 grams. In England it has a face value of 2 British Pounds.

Buying Silver Britannias

Since they are so new in the grand scheme of silver coins, Britannias are becoming more and more popular every year. Since 2004, Silver Britannias have had a set mintage of 100,000 uncalculated coins yearly. Of course when buying Silver Britannias, you cannot expect to get them for their face value because the silver inside the 1 ounce coin is worth a lot more than 2 British Pounds. is a great place to start your search for Silver Britannias. Apmex is one of the most trusted and well-renowned sites for selling precious metals and coins. They offer competitive prices and boast excellent customer service.

Although buying online is a great option for most people, buying Silver Britannias in the UK will prove even more beneficial because the UK taxes coin sales very minimally. An important thing to look out for when buying Silver Britannias, or any other coin for that matter, is the high amount of counterfeits that are out there. Counterfeits tend to primarily come from Asia and surrounding areas so if you do buy from a seller in that area, do it with caution.